1.21.2006

What's It All About?

I suppose this is the post with which I should have started this blog.

The intended audience of this blog is really myself, and it's main role will be for personal accountability and motivation, with my thoughts on various topics now and again as they come up. If you're reading it, you are welcome to continue if you're so inclined.

To be more specific, what I have in mind is a IBO version of JohnStoneFitness. For those not familiar with the site, in January of 2003, John Stone, who had been athletic most of his young life, had gotten less active with married life and had become disgusted with his physical condition. He committed himself to a fitness regimine, of which he began posting daily, along with a photo of himself. Over time, with persistant and consistant adherence to his fitness plan, he literally transformed. His site now offers an animated image which compiles all his daily photos, and the transformation is nothing short of amazing and inspiring.

As an aside, now that he has a proven track record of achievement, people frequent the site for fitness information and that "subscriber base" has generated enough traffic to drive towards suppliers of fitness equipment and nutritional products, which he has contracted with to (*gasp!*) sell from his site. According to Quixtar critics' logic, it should not be ethical for him to profit from the wisdom of his personal expertise and it apparently calls into question whether he's really physically fit or if he's "just making money from the flow of info and tools" for fitness training. (Interestingly enough, John has received critics on his site who question both the legitimacy of his fitness-- i.e. steroid accusations-- and his sales of products. I guess for every accomplished person there's 20 people ready to throw stones at that person.) Heh... but I digress.

His original motive was not to hawk food supplements and weights... it was to become physically fit, and making his goals and progress known to the world was his personal motivation to continue, knowing that others would be watching and commenting.

Likewise, my motive for this site is not to hawk products, tools or opportunity. It is to keep myself accountable and motivated by tracking my progress via a publicly visible medium. As the saying goes, the secret to one's future lies in their daily habits. So I will be posting my daily adherence (or lack thereof) to the 9 CORE steps as prescribed by World Wide DreamBuilders. Due to the nature of the steps, not all 9 steps are able to be accomplished every day, so I will do a weekly and monthly review as well.

Unlike John Stone, I obviously cannot mark my progress with a daily photo. With a business, the measuring stick is profit. The logical key criteria for measuring profit with this business model seem to be revenue, expenses, time investment, and Out-Of-Pocket Expenses, i.e. expenses that must come from the IBO's personal budget rather than his/her business revenue-- this seems to be of key interest to both IBO and critic (not to mention my wife.)

Some critics contend that as an IBO franchises or duplicates themselves to sponsor other IBOs, these criteria should be extended to account for all time, all expenses, and all revenue incurred by all sponsored IBOs to be an accurate picture of how efficient or profitable their business is. This is a clever but inherently fallacious argument, because of the independent nature of each business, regardless of their Line Of Sponsorship (LOS) affiliation.
To use the familiar analogy, an IBO's role is like a McDonald's franchisee, with regards to his/her own "store" (the "first circle" of personal use, retail clients, and wholesale clients under 100 PV) and the accounting of revenue, expenses and time are appropriate specific to those aspects. However, in his/her role related to any IBO(s) sponsored they are operating as a franchisor, and the accounting thereof should be measured like McDonald's Corp would: When is that last time you saw the payroll expenses for thousands of teenage cashiers and fry machine operators show up on McDonald's Corp quarterly reports? You haven't, because those are expenses for each individual franchisee.
Nice try though... Thank you, drive through.

So, like any business, I will account for my monthly, quarterly, and annual financials. Those familiar with running a business understand that financials are generally jealously guarded, except for publicly traded companies for whom disclosure is required for transparency toward their investors-- and even then, disclosure outside of any circumstance other than quarterly/annual reports is rare.

This otherwise wholesale security risk on my part is understandably the reason for my anonymity. Otherwise, if this were to be just an IBO rantblog, I would not have bothered.
(For those who seem to value disclosure of identity so much, I invite you to provide on-going full financial disclosure of your endeavor(s), at which point I will consider disclosing my identity. Heh-- I won't hold my breath...)

I suppose it may have occured to some by now that this will effectively provide a real-world example of the return on investment (ROI) of time, money and tools possible for an independant business owner affiliated with Quixtar and World Wide Dreambuilders.
Two caveats: First, it should be obvious that the investment is necessary before the return, and that the return is proportional to the investment. My hypothesis is that over time, this blog will demonstrate that principle. Second, in order to fairly and accurately gauge that ROI, a present snapshot of my business will be necessary. Unfortunately, I've run out of time, and as this post is rather long already, the snapshot will have to wait for another post. The sort of accountability regime I've layed out here will take a bit more organization than I've previously had, so I won't start the daily accounting until I'm organizationally prepared to do so consistantly.

As a bit of blog housekeeping details, I do enjoy intellectually honest and mature discussion, so I will leave comments open. However, I reserve the right to edit or delete comments based on my own discretionary criteria of propriety. But I will not likely have the time or inclination for editing unless you are being blatently offensive, hostile or moronic. Any free time spent blogging is obviously taking away from other activities, so don't expect indepth exchanges from me, as my purpose in blogging is not debate or discussion.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger anonibo said...

Ty,

To clarify, the compensation plan is designed to reward two activities: marketing products, and teaching others to do the same.

However, to assert that "it only take[s those] two things" to make money presupposes that the individual attempting to do so has knowledge/training/experience to do so.

If one begins the endeavor lacking the knowledge/training/experience to do so, how might one most effeciently obtain said knowledge/training/experience?

That you've made money this month without tools this month says nothing about how you've gained the knowledge/training/experience to prepare yourself to become capable of your current earnings.

2:27:00 PM  
Blogger anonibo said...

Ty:

Pardon my lack of clarity. When I invited others to "provide on-going full financial disclosure of your endeavor(s)", what I intended was a full public disclosure in the same manner as I am prepared to do.

Since I have not yet done so, I understand that there may have been some confusion. Again, this is my error.

Therefore, while your attempt to obtain my address is taken as a most sincere gesture of meeting the criteria of my invitation, this note should help clarify the criteria, making such a gesture unneccessary.

2:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home