3.24.2006

Why CORE?

When I was first introduced to Private Franchising, I really had no interest in the business itself. I made the effort of seeing the business plan and listening to some tapes specifically as a pre-calculated token gesture of "giving it a fair shot" before I turned my would-be sponsor down. Only one problem-- the leadership of World Wide simply made too much sense, and their values, their principles, their family lives, and yes, even their lifestyle, was everything I had wanted in life-- but never knew existed all together in one package, or that it could happen on purpose. I became associated with World Wide Group because I wanted the mentoring and leadership they offered... It just so happened that I had to register into this crazy business model to take advantage of it. (Over time, obviously, that has changed for me, or I wouldn't be here.)

To be completely candid, my lack of interest in the business model was grounded in my weakness in dealing with people, which specifically stemmed from my lack of self esteem. (I had been on an entertainment-related career path which, assuming I could have broken in, would have allowed me to take advantage of a talent which comes fairly easy to me, is an enjoyable escape, is technically possible to succeed in without a particular degree or certification, and best of all, I believed would not require me to develop strong people skills.)

Nevertheless, after having been exposed to the World Wide system for only a short time, I began to wonder if perhaps I might be capable of seeing success with the business model. I decided to attempt to share the business model with an acquaintance, a co-worker of mine at the manufacturing plant I was then working at.
This co-worker and I had established a routine of asking "What's new?" to each other at the beginning of the work week. So I resolved to expose Private Franchising to this co-worker for my "What's new?" that week.

I did so well explaining myself that my co-worker thought I was talking about a new party drug I had discovered! That may say more about his mindset at the time than my business and communication skills (not to mention my poor abilities for screening prospects) but a true story nonetheless.

Obviously not everyone coming into this industry is in as great a need for personal development as I was 10 years ago. (Frankly, it would be hard to find many as pathetic as I was.) Those who can make it on their own, or feel they can, bravo. More power to you!

But look, let's be real here: If one aspires to an income level of a Emerald or Diamond or above, they are aspiring to the equivalent of a corporate upper-management to executive level income and responsibility (albeit with a fraction of the time commitment level.)
That being the case, one with such aspirations needs to get honest and ask themselves: Am I leading and performing at an upper-management or executive level?

Unless the answer can be a resounding and unequivocal YES (and have fruit to show for it) then one needs to either re-adjust their expectations or re-adjust their performance. Or, I suppose, take the easy road and blame their lack of performance on some exterior circumstance or person.

I'm here because I evaluated my performance, my attitude, my knowledge and told myself, Look, if you're not going to position yourself to get mentored into an executive mindset and performance level, you're just dreaming, pal. You're just tilting at windmills. (Hence the Cervantes reference in this blog's title-- the wordplay with my supplier's name was just serendipitous.)

So how does one raise up to an executive level of performance? Do executives, for example, go bargain-basement hunting on eBay or tape-swap sites for 5-year old information on their industry? Hey, if this was the 70's, leading on 5-yr old data might have worked for just about any industry. Heck, it might have even got you through in the 90's when people were just starting to use that "InterWeb thing."
Welcome to the 21st century, people.

You expect an executive-level income with a Wal-Mart consumer mentality?
Oh gee, I have to buy CD's? (Tax deductible business expenses, by the way, and good for getting across the info to your prospects and downline that you're already going to screw up enough with help the first hundred times anyway, never mind trying it all on your own.) Oh gee, I have to travel to a function? CEO's from leading industries pay thousands, hundreds of thousands, even millions of dollars on a regular basis for industry intelligence, marketing strategy, and leadership mentoring provided by the likes of John C. Maxwell & Frank Feather (both of whom have spoken at WWDB major functions for no extra charge, incidentally)... Yet you're trying to tell me a dusty cassette tape from the 80's on eBay is going to cut it? Please.

So back to my question-- if one is not currently on track for an executive level of performance, how does one get there? Every endeavor has a specific set of fundamental practices that one must engage in, if one wants to succeed or excel in that endeavor. The specifics vary, but the underlying principles are the same.
Whether the endeavor is ballroom dancing, practicing medicine, creating comic books, developing web applications, playing football, private franchising, or Olympic speed skating, here are a few fundamental principles that apply:

- Knowledge: you must gain and/or be in the process of obtaining knowledge of the field
- Personal belief: you must have and/or be developing a confidence in your own ability to perform and excel in that field
- Practice: you must be continually doing the actions that define your field, developing and honing your skills
- Discipline: you must be persistent and consistent in all of the above
- Accountability: Performance that is measured and reported increases more consistently than performance which is not.
- Mentorship/coaching: You cannot become greater than your current self by employing the same knowledge, perspective, and practices as you have previously used and expect to get a different result. Mentorship helps you exceed what can be accomplished on your own.
- Communication: Mentoring, accountability, and knowledge gaining are impossible without it.

For business in general, the methodology by which these principles are employed may vary, but the principles themselves do not. Methodology which has been standardized is called a system. The classic example of a system in Public Franchising is Hamburger University for McDonald's. In Private Franchising under the WWDB system, the methodology by which these fundamental principles are employed are called the CORE steps. Below are the steps and the principles applied therein:

1- Show The Plan (expose the business model, share the dream - practice, discipline, knowledge, personal belief)
2- Personal Use (develop product knowledge & business loyalty - practice, discipline, knowledge, personal belief)
3- Retail Clients (establish a "store" worth duplicating - practice, discipline, personal belief)
4- read books (develop leadership, business knowledge, self-esteem, people skills, etc. - discipline, knowledge, personal belief)
5- listen to CD's (general and industry-specific business knowledge & technique - personal belief, discipline, knowledge, mentorship)
6- attend functions (general and industry-specific business knowledge, leadership & technique - mentorship, personal belief, knowledge)
7- be teachable (mentorship, knowledge)
8- be accountable (accountability, mentorship, personal belief)
9- CommuniKate unified messaging - (communication, mentorship, accountability)

A common criticism heard about the CORE steps is that they are specifically designed to profit those in the mentorship role. (Such allegations have been made in comments on this blog.) The implication is that a required cost or investment for these steps is unethical or unnecessary. Another assertion is that, aside from the question of profits from a tool system, is that these systems just don't work. But most tellingly, the same underlying principles, even much of the methodology, is encouraged by the affiliations of some of the same critics:

1. I will work my Oasis Business ______ hours per week. (STP/Retail/Be Accountable)
2. I can invest $______ in my business per month or reinvest ________% back into my business monthly. (*gasp!* it costs money to run a business?? there's overhead?? expenses?? reinvestment?? Outrageous! Unethical! Heh...)
3. I will gift ______ people per day until I have 20 solid Customers/Associates on 100 BV Convenience Plan. (STP/Retail)
4. I will utilize the Oasis Marketing Tools in my business weekly. - Ageless Living Magazine - Product Brochures - Ageless Success Program (ASP) - DVDs - CDs (Heh... these are free, right??) (Books/CDs)
5. I will attend and leverage all Team and Corporate Events weekly. - Conference Calls - Local ASP - Regional Events - Fly Ins - National Convention (free too?) (Functions/CommuniKate/Be teachable)
6. I will contact my sponsor _________________ to keep in touch and keep my sponsor updated on my progress. (Oasis leadership recommends talking with your sponsor several times a week.) (CommuniKate/Be Accountable/Be teachable)
7. I have personally enrolled in the Convenience Plan (I will become a product of the product and I will continually expand my product usage.) I will order 100 to 200 BV personally each month. (Personal Use)
8. I will add 3-Way calling to my home & cellular plans. (CommuniKate)
9. I have set up my web site with my sponsor. (Retail)
10. I will listen to the compensation plan overview. (CDs/Functions)

(source: http://www.oasisoffice.com/_Library/librdoc/ASPbook.pdf - my comments in italics, CORE equivalent in bold.)

It's apparent then, that the real issue with such criticism is NOT whether such methodology works, or whether it does/should cost to employ it, but a preference on which vehicle the methodology is being employed. That's a debate out of scope for this blog, but suffice it to say that obviously, one who has a vested interest on the success of a particular vehicle is going to downplay the same methodologies when applied to another vehicle.

So we've established that executive mindset and performance is required for executive results; that in order to excel in an endeavor, a consistent set of principles must be applied; than in the endeavor of Private Franchising, those principles are applied via a methodology called CORE; that even competing business models apply the same principles via similar methodologies; and that there is an investment of time, money and effort is required.

So be willing to pay the price. But since all of those are precious commodities, be smart... take advantage of the experience of those who have gone before and found the best known methods of applying the principles that lead to success in your endeavor.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home